The Water Rocks! School Assembly program helps to fulfill the following concepts in the Next Generation Science Standards:
K-ESS2 Earth’s Systems
• K-ESS2-2. Construct an argument supported by evidence for how plants and animals (including humans) can change the environment to meet their needs.
K-ESS3 Earth and Human Activity
• K-ESS3-3. Communicate solutions that will reduce the impact of humans on the land, water, air, and/or other living things in the local environment.
2-ESS2 Earth’s Systems
• 2-ESS2-1. Compare multiple solutions designed to slow or prevent wind or water from changing the shape of the land.
• 2-ESS2-2. Develop a model to represent the shapes and kinds of land and bodies of water in an area.
3-LS4 Biological Evolution: Unity and Diversity
• 3-LS4-3. Construct an argument with evidence that in a particular habitat some organisms can survive well, some survive less well, and some cannot survive at all.
• 3-LS4-4. Make a claim about the merit of a solution to a problem caused when the environment changes and the types of plants and animals that live there may change.
4-ESS2 Earth’s Systems
• 4-ESS2-1. Make observations and/or measurements to provide evidence of the effects of weathering or the rate of erosion by water, ice, wind, or vegetation.
4-ESS3 Earth and Human Activity
• 4-ESS3-2. Generate and compare multiple solutions to reduce the impacts of natural Earth processes on humans.
5-ESS3 Earth and Human Activity
• 5-ESS3-1. Obtain and combine information about ways individual communities use science ideas to protect the Earth’s resources and environment.
MS-ESS2 Earth’s Systems
• MS-ESS2-4. Develop a model to describe the cycling of water through Earth's systems driven by energy from the sun and the force of gravity.
MS-ESS3 Earth and Human Activity
• MS-ESS3-3. Apply scientific principles to design a method for monitoring and minimizing a human impact on the environment.
• MS-ESS3-4. Construct an argument supported by evidence for how increases in human population and per-capita consumption of natural resources impact Earth's systems.
HS-LS2 Ecosystems: Interactions, Energy, and Dynamics
• HS-LS2-7. Design, evaluate, and refine a solution for reducing the impacts of human activities on the environment and biodiversity.
• HS-LS2-8. Evaluate the evidence for the role of group behavior on individual and species’ chances to survive and reproduce.
HS-ESS3 Earth and Human Activity
• HS-ESS3-1. Construct an explanation based on evidence for how the availability of natural resources, occurrence of natural hazards, and changes in climate have influenced human activity.
• HS-ESS3-4. Evaluate or refine a technological solution that reduces impacts of human activities on natural systems.